Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Emergency Fire Damage Tips from SERVPRO of Southern Colorado Springs
When the fire has been extinguished and you begin to deal with the aftermath of fire damage, the restoration process begins. Fire damage can cause severe physical damage, and at SERVPRO of Southern Colorado Springs we are here to help. Once the fires have been extinguished and you are safe, our work begins. The main tip we'd like to share is to let the professionals handle your property and belongings. While we understand how sentimental items can be, we are trained to handle the damage and make sure that salvageable items are restored. Call us (719) 574-2789 to learn more and speak directly with one of our professionals.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (719) 574-2789
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.